Monday, January 03, 2011

De-Cluttering

Most of yesterday afternoon and evening I spent packing away Christmas 2010. It’s a dreaded chore that I have to psyche myself up for,  but the closer I got to being finished, the more satisfied I felt. Of course over the next 48 hours my back and feet and legs will feel the pain from the many trips up the ladder to the attic to put away all those boxes. UGH!  I cleaned up the kitchen from top to bottom as well, and packed away the Christmas ‘pretties’ in there.

I enjoy deep cleaning the kitchen because I love a product that I use when cleaning - Mrs. Meyers Basil Counter Top Spray. Oh goodness I do LOVE the smell of that spray! The room smells so wonderful and not at all chemical smelling. It’s a very gentle cleaner that leaves behind a light fresh and natural clean smell. It used to be somewhat difficult to find these products but several months ago W*l-M*r*t began carrying several of the lines of Mrs. Meyers products. If you have never tried any of the Mrs. Meyers products, you must get to your local W*l-M*rt. You will find them on the aisle where other household cleaners are found. They have their own section on that row.  It’s sad, but I get excited over this stuff!!

imageSome people think that packing away all the Christmas décor makes a home look bare and depressing. Not me! I LOVE the act of de-cluttering the house and the minimal / simple / clean look that results when all the decorations are put away. It’s fun to get it all out the first of December but it is so nice to pack it up again after Christmas. I love the clean, fresh de-cluttered look after a month of lots of extra stuff being out!

As I climbed up the attic ladder with the last Rubbermaid storage box in my arms – I heard the cheerful doorknob jingle bells ringing  inside the box – the bells that rang all month long, announcing every time someone walked in the front door. Their happy jingle was muffled inside the box but they were jingling nevertheless. It made me smile and I said out loud “Good-bye Christmas! See you again in 11 short months!” Smile

For now, we will enjoy the remainder of the Christmas candles – their warm glow and lovely scents. And we will enjoy a clean home and stay warm and cozy inside, anticipating the coming spring in a few weeks! In the newness of 2011 I am reminded of the old hymn, “Great is Thy Faithfulness.”

"Great is Thy faithfulness," O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

"Great is Thy faithfulness!" "Great is Thy faithfulness!"
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
"Great is Thy faithfulness," Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

No comments: