Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Around Town

The small southern city we live in now is known as the “Peanut Capital of the World.” This link goes to the Visitors Bureau page and you can learn some interesting things about the area known as the Wiregrass.  Back in the fall one Sunday afternoon Bobby and I went downtown and parked our car. We got out and just started walking, camera in hand. There is a lot of history here and many painted murals along the sides of old buildings tell a story of that history. Not being from here, I found it all very interesting. Of course, being a southerner, the history is familiar as many southern towns have similar histories.                           

                                 

There is a rich agricultural history documented in several of the murals.. from cotton to peanuts! Many worked in cotton fields and later, in peanut fields and technology advanced from hand planting and harvesting, to machinery. The two pictures below are close-ups of sections of a single very large mural.                      

My husband’s father was an army helicopter pilot at near-by Ft Rucker so I was interested in the mural above. It made me think of him. Apparently there was a malaria outbreak around here in the early 1800’s and it was severe. There is a recovery camp (tent hospital) depicted in one mural. I included the information plaque below. Hopefully you can read some of it when you click on the picture.                        

                                                       

                                              

There were a number of other murals scattered around downtown so I’ll make this a two part post. Stay tuned for more!

Have a great day.

1 comment:

The Bean said...

"Miss" Lynn I love your new blog! I didn't know this was here. I'm sorry it's been so long since I've visited. Thank you for always leaving such sweet comments on my blog!

You are an incredible photographer. I hope one day I am able to have you photograph my "babies". I miss you and yours!