Friday, December 17, 2010

Toothless in Dixie…

Well, not exactly toothless… but missing lots of teeth tonight. No… NOT ME!  Ha ha! Poor Casey, our beagle had dental surgery this morning. She had to have all of her upper jaw teeth pulled. OUCH! Her teeth have been icky for so long. This

time last year I paid for dental surgery on her and unfortunately the vet I took her to did not do all the work he needed to do. He pulled one tooth but there were several that needed attention. It’s risky to put elderly dogs under anesthesia as sometimes they don’t wake up. Sad smile Casey will be 16 yrs. old in May. So it was upsetting to me when a month after that 1st surgery and as soon as her antibiotics ended, her mouth developed that familiar foul odor that indicated infection was present. 

Needless to say, I never went back to that vet. I changed vets. I heard about a wonderful vet about 20 minutes away in a very small rural town south of us. So in May we went in for the annual check-up and shots and then he took a look at her teeth. He shook his head and said “OH MY! These are really grodie.”  I told him I had just had a dental done on her and was very disappointed to see her in this shape again. I couldn’t afford to turn around and do it again right away and neither did I want my sweet little Casey to go under anesthesia again. She didn’t appear to be in any pain, she just had stinky breath. So we waited. And things got worse. And we finally got to that point where it began to cause her pain and it was going to affect her health in some serious ways. 

Yesterday she went to visit the vet and he said “We are to that point between a rock and a hard place. It’s risky to put one to sleep at her age…sometimes they don’t wake up. But this infection is going to kill her if we don’t take care of it.” So we agreed she really needed to have some teeth pulled. This morning she went back and her sweet vet pulled 5 jaw teeth. Having already lost two, she has nothing left up top anymore. SIGH.  He called me this morning to let me know she had made it through the anesthesia and surgery just fine and she could go home this afternoon. When I arrived to get her, he said this was one of the worst cases he had ever seen. Thankfully she tolerated the anesthesia well and he was able to really get in there and clean things up and get rid of all those rotten teeth.

As I prepared to leave with my very groggy doggie, our good doctor said “she might not be able to eat for several days but try to keep her drinking. Call if you need anything over the weekend and please call Monday and give us a report on how she’s doing.” Well, that silly dog came home, slept a LONG time. And when she woke, she realized she had slept through her suppertime! She got a spoon full of canned food with her antibiotic stuffed in it. Carefully licked that up and looked at me for more. Smile So I spooned out a bit more. She ate that, licked the plate to death and looked at me as if to say “is this it? You DO know that I missed breakfast this morning, right?” So I soaked her dry food in hot water, mashed it up and she gobbled that down (carefully!)  Then I worried she might upchuck it all because she is still having some anesthesia affects. So far so good – it seems to be staying down. So much for being in too much pain to eat! He obviously did not realize there is no such thing as a hound being in too much pain to eat! If she doesn’t eat, it will be because she is dead! LOL! Dogs! Gotta love em! I snapped the picture with my cell phone  a little while ago. She was curled up at my feet in her little bed, snoring. Winking smile

Get well soon sweet Casey!

2 comments:

Becky Smith said...

So glad Casey got through his surgery well. Boy, he is really old for a bigger dog! (I've heard the smaller they are, the longer they live.)

You've been blessed with many wonderful years of furry friendship!

Becky

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel