Thursday, September 04, 2008

Being My Brother's Keeper...

I am loving watching the Palin kids take their turns tending to their little baby brother, Trig. It's brought back sweet memories of Gretchen when she was little, tending to the babies. She toted my babies on her hip and fed them in their highchair, rocked them in the old blue rocker and generally tended to them from the tender age of 7 when the first baby (Zach) came along after her. I have pictures of her 'mothering' a baby Zach, a baby Hannah and a baby Katelyn who all came along after her.  I have pictures of Nathan toting them all as well, entertaining them and making them laugh, encouraging them as they were learning new things like walking or eating, or mastering a new skill. SWEET SWEET memories of my 'big' kids interacting with my little kids.

So I love seeing these Palin kids busy caring for their little baby brother. It's so sad and disheartening that I've read so many criticisms of this very thing, this act of sibling love - complaints, snide remarks about the older sibs tending to baby Trig (and insinuating his mother should be doing all the caring for him and she obviously cannot do her mothering job because she is too busy in politics.) RIDICULOUS!! Utterly ridiculous! 

This is what is so precious about larger families - the love and interdependence and interaction... the examples of the older to the younger. It makes me angry to hear these criticisms of the older Palin children holding, feeding, cuddling baby Trig. SHAME ON ALL THE CRITICS who obviously have not experienced healthy family interaction!

All of this 'family' and ''personal attack on Sarah Palin reminds me of a quote from a well respected and proven lady of the world stage - Margaret Thatcher...

"When they attack one personally it means they haven't a single political argument left."  Margaret Thatcher.

AMEN.

With all this said... now take a look at this sweet video and SMILE!  It's only a few seconds, but priceless! Every little brother needs such a helpful big sister to keep him looking his best! LOL!

15 comments:

Mary said...

I saw that and loved it too. She made me proud to be who I am. Mom, conservative, American, Republican. All of it. I am very happy with McCain's choice.

Mary said...

Thanks for your comments, Lynn. Here's my favorite part of Sarah Palin's speech last night.

`````````````````
But here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion - I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country. Americans expect us to go to Washington for the right reasons, and not just to mingle with the right people.

Politics isn't just a game of clashing parties and competing interests.

The right reason is to challenge the status quo, to serve the common good, and to leave this nation better than we found it.

No one expects us to agree on everything.

But we are expected to govern with integrity, good will, clear convictions, and ... a servant's heart.

I pledge to all Americans that I will carry myself in this spirit as vice president of the United States.
``````````````````

What a great boost of positive energy she has given our political scene. I'm so happy with her.

Love, Mary

Carol said...

I completely agree with what Mary has said as well. I loved every part of her speech. I am so enjoying the family's interaction as well. I love watching little Piper 'work the crowd'. That is a precious, loving wonderful family. What a classy mom and dad!

~Pam~ said...

Hi Lynn!
OH I love your post today!! And that video clip is the sweetest!
I am in total agreement with Mary's comments above.

How are you? Haven't heard from you in a while.

God bless!
~hugs~

Terry said...

What a cute clip! And what a sweet sister to be so concerned with her little brother's hair! :0)

Kacy said...

Lynn....wanted you to know I'm thinking of you with this latest storm approaching. Everytime there's a storm around there, I think and stop and pray for you.

I agree with you on the family taking care of each other. What a precious video. Thanks for stopping by to visit the other day.

Loving hugs!

Tammy said...

Hi Lynn!
I agree with what everyone else said regarding Sarah Palin. I really like her and admire what she stands for. I pray that God blesses us with a Godly president and vice president in the next election. Take care and stay safe during all the turbulent weather down your way.
Big hugs!

Robin said...

Long over due *hugs* to you sweet lady!!! Wanted to stop by and check in on you and glad to see you weathered out the storms ok!! LOVE the video! So cute and I am in agreement where Palin is concerned. Down home kind of gal!! Take care and I will revisit very soon! Love ya

~Sindee~ said...

Hi Lynn!
I was so happy to see your post when I came by for a visit today. I am so excited about this election! Sarah Palin has energized the campaign.
Why wouldn't those kids want to hold and love on their baby brother? When my brothers were babies, that's all I wanted to do! lol They were like real baby dolls! I love the quote by Margaret Thatcher!
Hope you're having a good weekend. So glad Gustav missed you, will be praying that the other storms stay away as well. ((hugs))

Julie said...

G'day my sweet little Southern friend.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
I just had to come by and wish you a wonderful day. Your birthday is a celebration of you..so enjoy every moment of it.

You are absolutely right. I am so thankful that my younger two had a big sister, who loved them so tenderly and continues to do so even with that huge Pacific puddle between them. The gift of siblings is priceless, and I know my kids simply adore each other so much and I'm so thankful for that. I know Melissa learnt lots of her tenderhearted mothering skills with Dan, from mothering Matt when she was 5. Our daughters learn to be mothers by tending their siblings and assisitng in ther care. That clip you have here, shows pure unconditional love. Isn't this the precious little one with Downs syndrome, she's holding? I'm sure by the look on her face she sees him as absolutely perfect in every way. How precious is that!

As you enjoy your birthday, know you are loved and being throught of from around the world.

With lots of love and warm birthday hugs. xx

Mary said...

Happy Birthday, Lynn. I wanted to add my good wishes to your long list of admirers. God's blessings on your special day.

Love, Mary

Robin said...

Happy Monday Morning to you Lynn!! Just stopping in to wish you a good week ahead!!

Kimberly said...

Hope you have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

The video is so cute. My Pastor's wife had told me about it, she had said it was so cute, and it sure is.

The Bean said...

Amen! I really like Palin and think she would make a fantastic Vice President. Here's to the future!

~Pam~ said...

Hi Lynn,
just popping in to say hi and I hope your week is going well. :)
~HUGS~