Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Playing Tag

Sigh... it is so hard for me to get here these days. Not having my own computer that I can sit down to at will, has surely cramped my style!  I have so much to talk about but never have time to come here and write it all down.

Several days ago, Mary tagged me to play the "Random" game.

This means I have to write six random things about me.  But first there are rules.

1) Link to the person who tagged you.
2) Post the rules on your blog.
3) Write 6 random things about yourself.
4) Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them.
5) Let each person know they have been tagged, leave a comment on their blog.
6) Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Okay, here I go:

1)  When I was very young, I had the same 3 recurring nightmares  over and over again several times a week from about age 2, until I was around 12. I still remember all three of them vividly, though I have not dreamed them again in some 38-40 years.

2) When I was around 11 years old, I asked for a guitar for Christmas. My parents got me a little inexpensive beginners guitar and I taught myself to play! Several years later my mom gave me a good guitar for Christmas and I still have that one.

3) My first dog was a collie puppy I named Champ. He came to me on my 5th Christmas and though it was all ISkye05 ever wanted and dreamed about (I LOVED LASSIE!) when I first saw him, I was terrified of him!  He barked, he chased me, he jumped on me (as all happy 6 week old puppies do) and I had never been around a real dog (only Lassie up to that point!) so I was terrified of him! My mama made me take him out to potty every time and I would RUN down the back steps with him tumbling along behind me, barking joyfully. I would hit the ground and run for the swing set, shimmy up one of the legs and hang from the top bar of the swing set, crying! LOL!  He would stand beneath me and wag his tail and bark excitedly. It was a fun game for him!

Within days I lost the fear, fell in love with him, and we became the best of friends and inseparable.  We shared everything, including my daily lunch - peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Champ secured in me, a lifelong love for the collie breed and I have had several more collies over the course of my life.   The collie will always be my favorite breed. Sadly I have no photos of my beloved collie  Champ, but he was a white, rough-coated collie that looked very similar to this one I found on the web. He had the same sable and black markings on his head and his body was mostly white except a patch of sable near his hips and extending onto his tail. Very pretty!

4) RoyTriggergrayMy first hero was Roy Rogers!  (For you babies too young to know, he was a cowboy - a good guy with a smart and beautiful horse named Trigger!) By the time I was three years old, I was a cowboy too - from the hat on my head, to the boots on my feet, and the shiny pair  of six-shooters that hung at my waist. I had a stick horse, my "Trigger" and every day Champ and Trigger accompanied me on many imaginary journeys. My mama continually tried to lure me in to play with dolls and tea sets in my younger years. I would watch her play and feed the dolls, amused, but I would not join in. After a few minutes, I would run back outside and jump on my trusty steed, Trigger, and head off for another adventure! (can we say tomboy, here??)

5) Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE holiday... always has been.

6) When I was about 20 years old, I met actor Paul Newman and his wife Joanne Woodward. That was back in daypaulnewman1a when he was making movies such as "The Sting" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." My best friend and I got some tickets to the Atlanta International Motor Speedway (between Atlanta and Athens, Georgia) to the races one weekend. I lived in Atlanta back then. Paul was racing his Datsun that weekend and we got paddock passes and spent the whole day with the Newmans, at their RV which was parked right at the fence overlooking the track. It was fun! SO fun that we got tickets again the following year, and did the same thing again! I have pictures but will have to dig them out of the box and scan them in. I'll try to do that sometime soon. They were very relaxed and friendly. I guess it's because people at the racetrack don't hound them like people who are "star-chasers" (i.e. paparazzi.)  I don't know when this picture was taken, which I found on the web, but this was his approximate age when I met him. He looked very similar to this picture. I'll hunt for my pics and scan then in and post one.

Soooo, that's some randomness about me!  I won't tag anyone to do this because so many of you have already done it. If you haven't yet, and want to participate though, just leave me a comment and let me know you are, and I'll come visit and read your "Randomness!" I still have to share about the Softball World Series we went to several weeks ago, which I will try to do next time I get on here.

Until then....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - SOOOOO much fun to read all this randomness about you! You picked great stuff to share.

Thought about you a bunch two weeks ago as Matthew and I were driving home from the outer banks of NC - there were TONS of families in SUV's and mini vans on the road with us and they all had stuff written on the windows all about the softball thing! They all must have been at the same thing you were at with the girls. TOO FUNNY

miss you!
lisa

Tänia said...

YOU MET PAUL NEWMAN?!?!?! COOL! That is an awesome story! I love that!

We used to have a collie too. She was beautiful! I miss her alot.

Big hugs,

T

Diane said...

Loved your list, Lynn!

I also love Thanksgiving. I love the nice calm before the hustle and bustle that the Christmas season often brings. I love the idea of setting aside time to give THANKS. And, of course, the FOOD! Oh my, the food. :)

And ummm...PAUL NEWMAN?!! Are those pictures of you AND Paul Newman?!! Very cool. I would love to see them!

Have a great day!

Michelle said...

Hiii Lynn,

I love reading your tag posts. You sound like you had such a wonderful, adventurous upbringing and life. I don't think I can really top that, but I do remember us getting to watch David Copperfield live!! He was that illusionist.

Well I hope you and your family are doing well.

Sending you lots of love, hugs & blessings~Michelle

Mary said...

Hi Lynn! Thanks for posting your 6 random things. I loved reading about them. You met Paul Newman? I met Robert Redford in Provo, Utah in about the same time frame, I'll bet. I'll have to write about that some day.

Loved learning about thoughts on Thanksgiving. I didn't know that about you.

Hugs,

Mary