Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Potpourri Type of Post...

This post will be a potpourri of  sorts. There is nothing really on my mind to write about. There is much on my mind to worry about. UGH... so this post is a distraction for my mind!

DSC00378 DSC00380 DSC00381

The pictures above demonstrate some of the hazards of playing tournament fastpitch softball!

Hannah's foot is not normally "fat" - it is swelled to about twice its normal size in the picture!  And these pictures were taken a full week and a half AFTER she sustained the injuries and spent the week laid up in her bed with ice and elevation!  This resulted from a HARD blow to her lower shin which radiated down the ankle and into the foot. CRAZY huh! The same weekend she got hit by a ball in the arm and that also bruised and swelled. Again, pictures are taken over a week after that injury as well! I didn't get shots of the busted shin or the bruised chest!  I tell ya, one must be a warrior to play softball! It is NOT a game for sissies!

Katelyn's little softball team finished their season with an exciting round of play-offs that vaulted them into the championship game! Though they finished 2nd, runner up city champs - it was very exciting!

DSC09729 DSC09730

DSC00368 DSC00369

The pictures above were all taken during the championship game. Wish we could have taken the city title but if you had seen us play during the season, you would know that receiving the runner- up trophies was a good accomplishment for us! LOL!

Now just a couple of random photos I've taken in the past couple of weeks... my favorite summertime treat and watching a summer sunset from my back porch....

DSC00310 DSC00384

I LOVE strawberries and blueberries mixed together. I want to eat it every day! Unfortunately they can be cost-prohibitive. (WHY does it have to be expensive to eat things that are good for you??) I need to plant a blueberry bush or two so I can enjoy them to my heart's desire!

When I landed in the cardiac care unit for several days last year, I learned that blueberries are very good for you. I never had eaten them much before - not that I didn't like them, but I felt they were an expensive indulgence. As I left the hospital and began to take a look at my diet, blueberries showed up on the research radar as a powerful superfood! Now when they are in season, I try to stock up on the fresh blueberries and strawberries at Sam's and eat to my heart's content!

The final picture is the last light of a recent summer day. You can already see the small glow of my little lighthouse on the porch, flickering in response to the approaching darkness. One of my comments recently inquired as to how I was enjoying my own home, compared to years of renting. To be honest, I feel afraid to enjoy it. I feel afraid to turn loose and decorate and put my own imprints on this house. I love the house, but don't feel assured that we will be able to live out our lives here. I still live here in that "renter's mentality" - trying not to disturb anything. Sigh.

The rising cost of living is hurting us as it is hurting so many other families. We live paycheck to paycheck and that paycheck has not risen along with the high fuel and grocery prices.  Monthly expenses are now exceeding funds to pay them. I am feeling anxious about having bought this house now. Sad And I am feeling fearful that we won't be able to sell it and get what we put into it as there are 4 houses surrounding us, that are for sale. I don't want a profit, just to break even. I'm thinking we may have to consider looking for something less expensive, which makes me sad. This house is so beautiful and I was so proud after nearly 30 years of living in run down, worn out, very OLD homes - to have a newer home we could be proud of, and not ashamed of. 

Our family's future concerns me... our country's future concerns me. And that's a small portion of what is on my mind today. I'll be back on as I am able (still without a computer, and will be for some time as the cost of a computer is a low priority right now. )

Before I go I want to say CONGRATULATIONS to my old neighbor Emily who has recently learned that she is expecting a baby boy this fall.  She has a little girl who will be a big sister now! Emily grew up with my Gretchen - they are the same age and went through school together and played outside together, so Emily is sorta one of my kids too.

We're no longer neighbors (she lives many hours from me now) so I'm really glad she blogs so I can continue to keep up with her. I'm happy for you girl! Take care of yourself!

Until next time...

 

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

I certainly know what you mean about living paycheck to paycheck,and the rising cost are not good; it is here where we live as well; gas, food, etc. God is good though, and he will always provide what we need. I'm sure your home no matter where it is will be wonderful, and God will bless you when you honor Him. I know life can be frustrating, as it is for us as well; but just hang in there. Hugs!

Julie said...

Thank you sweetie for dropping by to encourage me. Please do share what's on your heart, I'm all ears. My e-mail addy is luv2draw@bigpond.com Just giving you that in case it went off into the wild blue yonder with your computer. The price of food, petro; (gas) is crazy here also. I think you are wise to invest in fruit...it's cheaper than doctor's bills and it's so yummy.. At the moment my fruit each night has been cherries. No, they are not in season here, but we import beautiful American cherries that are delicious and reasonable.

Boy oh boy, your daughter sure got her share of bruises didn't she. They look very painful poor dear girl.

I look forward to hearing from you and what's on your heart.

With love and warm hugs,
Julie.

Mary said...

I KNOW! It seems like everything has a price tag of $4.99 now including a gallon of gas! I'm resigning from all of my ministries now because (among other reasons) I can't afford $70.00 a week to fill my tank to drive up to Paradise. Gas here costs $4.50 and is climbing daily. That changes everything, doesn't it? Summer vacations are too expensive. Flying out to see my kids...gone. It's a worry. I'd be lost without the Lord.

I love, love, love peaches and blueberries together. Mmmmmmmmm. The photos of the strawberries and blueberries is beautiful, Lynn. And poor Hannah. Are those bruises of honor? She is so dedicated and must love the game. Does she have lots of close friends on the team?

Gosh, this blog feels like a chat around a kitchen table today. God bless your week, Lynn. It's Hump Day! :0)

Diane said...

I know...and I drive a big ol' gas guzzling suburban. I spend over $100 a week in gas! Eeek. Might have to trade that monster in and think about a more economical car.
I LOVE blueberries too! We have a couple of bushes...yum! So good.
Take care, Lynn!

Nancze said...

Hey Lynn, I am finally back online and it is my new computer. The erthnet port wasn't working. Luckily I had my old computer so I'm hooked up while I return the new one to have it fixed. I am slowly getting around but doing well. Just taking life slow and easy. How I appreciate everyone's love and prayers for me. The surgery was scary and an ordeal I hope I don't have to repeat ever. I know what you mean about the cost of things. I love blueberries and strawberries too. Sure hope Hannah is doing better, she really got banged up! I love you very much too! ~hugs~

Tera said...

From the bottom of my heart, I am so sorry that you are struggling so. :/ Jason is faced with looking for a second job and he turned in a few applications this week. We are having a tough time making ends meet. If we moved, though we would almost be paying for rent what we are paying for this house. So, it is worth it to stay. I PRAY that you will be able to stay in your house. I just KNOW that it brings joy to your heart to sit on YOUR OWN porch to watch the sun go down. Thinking of you and praying. God bless.

~Sindee~ said...

Hi Lynn!
I was so glad to catch up with you!I enjoyed looking at all your pictures too. Poor Hannah really took a beating! Hurray for Katelyn's team!

I love blueberries. I keep a bag of frozen ones all the time. In the mornings, I'll take out a handful to thaw to put on my cereal. They're not quite as expensive as the fresh one. When I was a kid and we lived in Massachusetts, we used to go pick wild blueberries. My Mom would make a cobbler with them. Yummy!

I can totally relate concerning the finances and owning a house. I've been wondering even after living here for over 5 years in our home, if we should have bought it. My husband has been out of work now for 4 months and with the price of food and gas the way it is, well, everybody knows it's just tough! I was sure we'd live out our lives here in this home, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I'm just taking it a day at a time and trying not to worry about what's down the road. The Lord has been faithful to keep us through this.

Now that I know where you're at, I'll be back to visit soon!

((Hugs))

Susan said...

Hi Lynn, This economy is just awful. Gas is $4.69 and going up. We have to drive 60 miles a day round trip to work and once we are home, we stay home. The blueberries and strawberries look yummy! I will be praying for you. Hugs.

Michelle said...

Hiiii Lynn,

It is so good to see you posting again and doing well. It has been awhile myself since I've been online. I was back for alittle bit trying to draw and then lost the inspiration again. I want to start blogging to help me get thru something that I'm facing and just to get my mind off of things.

Anyway, I hope you'll come visit me. I was trying to see if you had any pics of your house. I hope we can catch up?

God Bless & hugs~Michelle