Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thinking...

                                                                     

Just thinking about a number of things this morning. I saw a segment on the Early Show (CBS) this morning, about the changing face of hunger in America. A family whose business had failed was featured. They had 4 young children and they were sharing about how they had been forced to use a local food pantry over a number of months now.  Of course there were some feelings of shame or embarrassment (humbling) associated with the loss of their job, the need for assistance of various sorts. 

I could sure relate as I recalled our nearly 17 months of joblessness after 9/11/2001.  Some of you knew me then and remember that time in my family's life. Some of you precious friends even helped us during that time. It's very frightening to be in need like this, to not know where the next meal will come from, how the next bill will be paid, how the rent will be paid, how the electric and other associated monthly expenses will be paid.    VERY FRIGHTENING to not have any income at all coming in, but all the normal monthly bills and expenses remain to be paid every four weeks. 

One statement this woman made this morning struck me - "hunger doesn't always show... need doesn't always show."  That's a paraphrase as best I remember, but I recall feeling the same way when seeking assistance. If you LOOK like a decent person (clean, dressed decently etc) then the need is not apparent and you are shunned for requesting it. After all, you don't look like you are in need and others obviously look more desperate, more needy. It is VERY difficult to get assistance in this case. On the other hand, if you LOOK poverty stricken, then you are viewed with disdain and treated like a 2nd class human. This was VERY distressing to me when we found ourselves in this predicament. I would imagine there are a LOT of Americans right now, who do not LOOK poor or needy, but who are in desperate need.     

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

 

 

I am watching President Bush's news conference right now. Something that stands out is his repeated pleas with congress (which is democratically controlled) to pass bills which would have relieved many of the burdens we are struggling under right now. And again and again, congress has failed to work in our best interests.

A president works with the hand he is dealt. The congress controls policy. Congress "changed" 2 years ago - to democratic majority/control. I can't imagine what might happen if they get a like-minded president in there with them now. The word "change" being thrown about by the democratic candidates is scary indeed!

In closing, did you all see this in the news? Seven year old kid stole his grandmother's car and went for a joyride with his cigarette smoking friend. His reason? "...because it's fun to do bad things."  God help us!   Before I go, another EXCELLENT article over at Two Sisters From The Right. Go and read the article titled "Wright spews More Venom" dated April 29, and give particular attention to the final paragraph. This is So ON TARGET.

See ya'll!

                                                                                                   

                                                          

6 comments:

Denise said...

THAT is just crazy about that 7 yr old - what is the world coming to. I seriously hope they do get that boy the help he needs :-/
Hope you have a lovely day . The sun is shining lovely here.
xxxx

Mary said...

Hi Lynn,

Just stopping by to say howdy! I know, the times are changing, aren't they? Ugh, news watching can get to be depressing. I our news stations should balance the bad with the good stuff.

Remember that commercial with the baby laughing? And the statment accompanying it that says "Laughter can add 8 years to your life".? I like stuff like that. Don't you?

Have a blessed evening!

Hugs, Mary

Molly said...

Hi Lynn,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment! I can't tell you how much it meant to me. I'm so glad that you came to visit me! :) I will love to see you again, Molly <><

Pam said...

Oh I love Super Mario! :) Hey Lynn, I have to tell you something mildly hilarious. I was reading your great Live Writer post and I thought, how does she get her photos to tilt like that??? I thought I knew everything there was to know about WLW. ;) (as if - laughing at myself) So I was going to have to ask you. Well, it finally dawned on me, just as I was going to uninstall what I thought was a redundant plugin, that the Polaroid plugin was not just a duplicate for the Polaroid border thingy WLW comes with, and it was good I never uninstalled it because one peek in there showed me what you already knew. You're too smart. I love how we sharpen each other. :) I loved your comment to Molly...it really touched her. And thank you for your sweet words about the hormonal thing. ;) Thinking of you! xoxo

Julie said...

My oh my... that Mom sure has her hands full with her 7 year old. Yes, life sure is different today, that is for sure.

I also sure do remember the times when my kids were younger that we wondered where our next meal was coming from. I think the Lord allows us to go through those times, so that we in turn can reach out to others because we know and understand how it felt to be in that position. It does us good to look for ways to bless others.

Love you lots lil sis. xx

Diane said...

Hey Lynn,
Just checkin' in with ya. :) Have a great day!