Thursday, April 03, 2008

27 Years Ago (or was it yesterday?)

On this day 27 years ago, I gave birth to my firstborn. Scared to death and wishing/wondering if there was any way to get out of this! I desperately wanted my baby, but was terrified of what I might go through in order to get him here! It turned out well enough (and I can say that NOW! HA!) but was certainly not a picnic. I began labor around 8:30 p.m. on the evening of April 3 and he was born on the 4th at 4:40 a.m. (I think! After 5 kids it gets hard to remember these things.) Eight hours is not so bad for a first labor, but it was tough because I was a 4' 11" tall, very petite little mother and the baby was in the birth canal presenting in a posterior position.

This means the baby is still head down, but facing your tummy rather than the ideal position, facing the mother's back. Mothers of babies in the 'posterior' position are more likely to have long and painful labors (and I did with respect to the pain!) as the baby usually has to turn all the way round to facing the back in order to be born. He cannot fully flex his head in this position, and the diameter of his head which has to enter the pelvis first is significantly larger. In every day language, it means he must make a wider path in which to travel into the world. UGH!

It was the scariest thing I can recall ever experiencing, but when I finally saw him, he was the most beautiful and amazing sight! I was overjoyed and brimming with love for this tiny, miraculous creature! MY BABY! I can't believe it has been 27 years! Aren't I only 29?? Time can sometimes seem to drag on but looking back over my life - it all happened so quickly.


Happy 27th Birthday to my dear Nathan, firstborn of 5 beautiful treasures God has entrusted to me. Last week Hannah turned 15! In a couple of weeks Gretchen will be 26, and about 3 weeks later Katelyn will be 11! In January Zach turned 19! WOW! Just can't believe it! The picture below was taken this past Thanksgiving and is the most recent of all the family together.



GOD IS GOOD.


3 comments:

Diane said...

Wow - what a beautiful family you have! (And a TALL one! ha) And yes indeed, God is GOOD! Have a great weekend.

Julie said...

I sure understand and remember all the wonderful blessings and joys of first motherhood. Look at your beatiful family now, each one having joined your family one by one, with each being so unique and special. We are so blessed to be mothers...the most worthwhile calling on this earth!

I just love the fact you're blogging again, and being about to have these regular little connections. It's wonderful - so are you. xx

Kimberly said...

Hi Lynn: Yes you defniitely remember who I am, we were the ones on the beach when the shark attack happened. That has been almost 4 years ago now, can you believe it. We have been back to the ocean, but not that same spot yet. We went last year to NC and had a great time, but we didn't venture out in the water too far, it's still too fresh in our minds for comfort.

So glad to be able to keep in touch with you again. I have went to your other blog many times, and was disappointed; so I'm glad to find you again.

Time does fly by so quickly; I can't believe it. My baby turned 18 this past October and my oldest daughter turned 21. My daughter who is 18 is a Senior and the year is almost coming to a close; we can't believe it. Less than two months left.

You have a beautiful family and what a nice photo. Your new home is beautiful as well; how nice. I do still remember that sweet guinea pig (is that the same one?). That photo is so adorable of it with your sweet daughter.

I will check back often.