Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Little About our Recent Move...

At the end of January we moved. After many months of searching for a house in Bay County Florida, we realized that we would never be able to afford to buy in that area. Panama City, Florida is a resort/tourist area and everything is very expensive there. If one can find an affordable house, then there are the property taxes and homeowners insurance to deal with as well. Obviously the danger of hurricanes drives these prices way up there. It was beginning to look very bleak.


So... feeling our age, and seeing the dream of buying there slipping away - we began to look inland. Just 13 miles across the Florida/Alabama state line and a mere 1 1/2 hours from the coast, is a lovely community, a gracious southern city in our "home state" Alabama, where we found a house that was just perfect for us. It was on the high end of what we could afford but we made the decision, bought the house - and we moved.



This is our new home. It's about 300 more sq. feet than what we had in the rental house in Florida. It's only 4 years old and has been well cared for, so is in like new condition. It's just very comfortable and we are enjoying living here so much. Who would have thought it! Here we are in our 50s and FINALLY buying our own home. The picture at the top of this post is a view of our wonderful screened patio! The sun sets over the backyard in the evenings and I am just looking forward to spending some peaceful time out on the patio when the weather warms a little more. You can click on these pictures for a little better view.


The girls made the school change adjustments very well and have adapted well into life here. What a relief this was for my heart. I knew Hannah would protest loudly against the move, but assimilate easily once here. She makes friends easily and is a good athlete, so I knew things would fall into place for her. Any concerns were quickly relieved as Hannah made friends, made the JV softball team and earned a starting position there. They ended their season undefeated! It was a lot of fun to be with this team. So all is well with Hannah.



It was Katelyn I was worried about. She has struggled in school for several years. Some years she had a terrible teacher... some years her teacher was good, but classroom discipline made learning nearly impossible. So Katelyn has struggled in school.

Imagine my joy (for her!) when she proudly presented her first report card to me this week. She made the HONOR ROLL! It has been YEARS since she made such good grades! She LOVES her teacher here and is doing so well here. She will end her elementary school years on a very positive note and feel good about heading into the middle school environment. I'm just so happy to see her feeling good about herself and seeing her self esteem rise.


I'm doing ok. I do miss being able to go out to the beach when I need some peaceful time to be outdoors in nature. The surroundings were definitely beautiful there. And I miss my friend Karol. We used to get together about once a week and meet up for a bike ride, or for a little window shopping around town (always at Hobby Lobby!) We always made a Starbucks run as well. : ) It was nice to visit, to talk, to share whatever was on our minds. I always enjoyed the time we spent together. On our last visit before the move, we took this picture.

The positives far outweigh the negatives in this move. It was the best thing for our family. Right now I am enjoying the anonymous status. I haven't assimilated into life here... but that's ok. I need this time to regroup spiritually, emotionally, relationally, and in my efforts to live healthy. I've slipped off the bandwagon of good health and know that I need to turn this around again, PRONTO! It was a year ago this very month that I ended up in the cardiac unit of the hospital! This is a place I do not want to revisit! I will be starting over, re-establishing the good habits I formed after that hospitalization.

Well, this is long. I'll share some more another day. Julie, thanks for visiting me here and for your encouragement in your comment.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Wow girl, that's awesome. You havebrought a lovely home and the girls have settled well, what a blessing. How nice to finally have a home to call your own. That porch sure looks like a really nice spot for a cuppa and a chat. I'll be right over LOL. xx

Mary said...

Yes, that back porch looks so inviting. So pretty and peaceful. You have a real nice decorating touch.

You know, Lynn, I'm in the same boat? Since Dan and I have married, we've both gained a lot of weight and I'm back to where I was when Klaus went home to the Lord. I'd like to get back to exercise and good health again. Maybe we can keep ourselves accountable. We can at least pray for each other in that department.

Hugs, Mary